(30 minutes at 350F)
- 2 (8”) layer cake pans lined
- 1 med. orange
- 2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup shortening, soft
- 1/4 cup orange rind
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins, plumped
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup pitted dates in pieces
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (add ½ tsp vinegar to 2% milk)
- Preheat Oven to 350F
- Wash orange and scrape off rind. Squeeze orange to get about 1/3 cup of juice.
- Grind rind, raisins, dates and nuts 3 times through grinder. Stir in orange juice until well blended and smooth.
- Cream shortening in large bowl. Add sugar , then eggs one at a time beating well after each.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk in 4-5 portions beginning with flour and ending with flour. Beat in fruit mixture. Turn into pans and bake. Cool in pans about 10 min before turning out on rack.
Thanks to Pauline Oliver for the recipe!