Fine Cooking, the rub and sauce will serve 2 flank steaks.
1 1/2 lb Flank steak
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 4 teaspoons Five-spice powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 1/4 teaspoon hot chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup seasame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Rub: in a mortar, blend all the spices/sugar/salt together. Rub will last a couple of months in a air-tight container.
- Sauce: in a small bowl, whisk all ingredients together. Sauce will keep for 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Just before lighting the fire, rub the steak with rub – about 1 tablespoon per side.
- Heat grill to high and just before placing on grill, drizzle both sides of the flank steak with the oil.
- Grill steak for about 8 minutes, flipping it a couple of times during cooking. It should be rare to medium rare – let relax off the grill for 5 minutes, cover with foil.
- Carve thinly across the grain on a 45 degree angle. Drizzle with the sauce.
Thanks to WEBSITE for the recipe!