(40 minutes at 350F)
- 4 Cup Flour
- 1 pkg. fast rising yeast
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp. soft shortening
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 10 maraschino cherries sliced in half
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup chopped nuts
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat Oven to 350F
- Soften yeast in 1/2 cup warm water with 1 tsp sugar for 10 min.
- To remaining water add sugar, salt, shortening and beaten egg and mix in electric mixer. Let stand until yeast is ready, the add yeast to mixture.
- Stir in flour to make a soft dough. Knead on a greased board until smooth. Place in greased bowl. Cover.
- Let rise in warm place until double in bulk. Punch down. Cut in 2.
- Cover and let rest 15 min.
- Grease 2 – 8×8 pans.
- Combine 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and nuts. Spread on pans. Dot with cherry slices.
- Roll dough into 2 rectangles 3/8” thick. Brush with 1/4 cup butter.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar, cinnamon, and raisins.
- Roll up like jelly roll.
- Slice 1” thick and place in pans. Let rise to double in bulk. Bake.
- Turn upside down on a plate after 10 min.
Thanks to Pauline Oliver for the recipe!