Spinach, bacon, and onion make a flavorful match in this cheesy dip. Serve with crostini or pita chips and pair with a seasonal cocktail or two. This festive combination, great for company, might become a new holiday tradition.
- 4 slices bacon, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced medium
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 bar (8 ounces) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Crostini or pita chips, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, cook bacon over medium, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, 10 minutes.
- Drain bacon on paper towels. Discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan.
- Add onion to pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 minutes.
- Add flour and cook 30 seconds.
- Add spinach, milk, sour cream, and cream cheese.
- Cook, stirring, until cream cheese melts, 2 minutes.
- Stir in bacon and 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Transfer mixture to a 1 1/2-quart baking dish and top with 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Bake until bubbling, 14 minutes.
- Heat broiler and broil until top browns, 3 minutes.
- Let sit 5 minutes.
- Serve dip warm with crostini or pita chips.
Thanks to Martha Stewart for the recipe!