(1 day lead prep required)
(1 to 1 1/2 hours at 275F)
Makes 2 loafs, need 2 bread loaf pans
- 2 cup (450 g) candied red cherries, (tip..don’t buy the red / green mix. The colors mingle.)
- 1 cup (225 g) candied green cherries
- 2 cup (450 g) candied Glace’ Mix (1/4″ bits of mixed colors)
- 1/2 c. Amarretto or Grand Marnier or Cointreau liquor
- 1/2 c. Brandy
- 1/2 tsp almond flavouring
- 1/2 c butter, very soft
- 1/2 c Crisco vegetable shortening, very soft
- 3/4 c sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 1 c of liquor (see above)
- 1/4 c milk
- 2 containers of almond paste (usually in the bakery area by the Christmas cakes)
- Put fruit , almond flavouring, 1/2 c. liquor, and 1/2 c. brandy into a glass bowl and mix. Cover and leave minimum over night or up to 1 week.
- Line loaf pans with parchment paper.
- Pre-heat oven to 275F
- Cream butter and shortening.
- Gradually beat in sugar and eggs.
- Add 3/4 cup flour and mix.
- Add 1/2 c of liquor and mix.
- Add 3/4 cup of flour and mix.
- Add 1/2 c liquor and mix.
- Add 1 c flour and mix.
- Add milk and mix.
- Toss fruit with 1/2 c of flour to coat. Don’t over mix.
- Fold in fruit mixture until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Turn into pans and push into corners. Smooth top.
- Bake in centre of oven until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 15 – 20 min.
- While loaves are still warm to touch…not hot, otherwise almond paste will melt …roll out almond paste with rolling pin using icing sugar to stop sticking to counter top or pastry cloth. Place on warm loaves and press to adhere to cake. Trim excess with sharp knife as necessary.
- When cool, wrap in plastic and either freeze or store in fridge.
Thanks to Chatelaine Magazine for the recipe!