(7 hours of prep and cooking)
Thee most epic meal that is known to man.
- 15 lb turkey (approx), thawed, may take up to 4 days in fridge to thaw
- 6 skinless duck breasts (boneless if possible) keep a couple of skins to patch turkey skin if necessary
- 1 med pkg of skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Bread cubes to fill medium to lg stainless steel bowl
- 1 med to large onion finely chopped
- 1c finely chopped celery and leaves
- 1 small pkg chicken hearts sauteed and ground, approx 1 cup
- Spicy Italian sausage finely ground, approx 1cup
- Various spices such as royal peppercorn, sea salt, celery salt, pepper medley, minced onion, parsley, poultry seasoning (thyme, sage)
- 3/4 lb butter melted
- Extra turkey necks on bottom of pan to act as a cooking rack
- Disposable aluminum roasting pan
- Strong string to truss
- Debone the turkey (possibly the day before required). Takes approximately an hour.
- Prepare chicken hearts and Italian sausage at the same time.
- Do not stuff turkey until ready to start cooking. Make a grid out of the string (approx 3″ squares) leaving sufficient length on ends to wrap around the turkey and tie.
- Lay the grid of string down on a cookie sheet or cutting board and place the turkey on top.
- Make 2 separate batches of stuffing..one using the chicken hearts and the other using the Italian sausage.
- Split the bread cubes into 2 bowls. Saute’ the onion and celery in oil until tender. Split between the bowls.
- Add chicken hearts to one bowl.
- Add sausage to second bowl.
- Add seasonings to each bowl.
- Add butter to each bowl. Thoroughly mix the stuffing using hands to blend ingredients.
- Lay the chicken heart dressing on the turkey and stuff into open crevices.
- Layer on the skinless duck breasts.
- Layer on the sausage stuffing and stuff into crevices.
- Layer on the chicken thighs.
- While one person pulls the turkey carcass back together, another person secures it in place by tying the string grid together.
- If necessary, use duck skins and heavy thread in a running stitch to secure open areas.
- Place bird breast down on top of turkey necks (if available) otherwise use a rack.
- Bake at 400 degrees for approx 1 hour. Turn oven down to 325 for remaining cooking time. Cover with foil.
- Baste hourly.
- Check internal temperature with a meat thermometer after several hours of cooking and continue checking until internal temperature is 180 degrees.
- Remove from oven and let rest.
- Serve the turkey necks and make gravy.
- Make gravy by suctioning drippings into large saucepan.
- Mix approx. 1/2 c flour with 2- 3 c cold water and pour into drippings.
- Heat and continually stir until gravy is desired consistency. Add more water if necessary.
- Add spices such as pepper medley, sea salt, celery salt, additional poultry seasoning.
- Should be slightly runny as it will thicken as it cools on the table. Pour gravy into heated serving dish.
- Remove the string and thread from the turkey. Serve on platter with foil base to catch excess run-off (if any).
- Slice like meat loaf.
Thanks to any one who makes this recipe!