(Cook 1 hour per kg)
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard 3.5 kg standing rib roast / prime rib
- 2 tbsp (or more) olive oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp coarse ground pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary or thyme
- Preheat Oven to 350
- Mix all the seasonings together in a plastic bag large enough to hold the roast.
- Put roast in the bag and roll around until fully covered in seasonings.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hrs and preferably overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to broil. Broil roast for 3-4 minutes until browned.
- Turn down oven to 450 F for 20 minutes.
- Turn down oven to 325 F for remainder of cooking time (1 hr per kg total cooking time- usually 1 1/2 hr to 2 hr to finish).
- Test with meat thermometer.
- When done, remove from oven and let rest 20 minutes.
- Make gravy in the meantime.
- Remove 2 tbsp of fat from pan to saucepan. Heat to medium.
- Add 1/2 c chopped shallots and cook 3 minutes or until brown around edges.
- Stir in 2 tbsp flour.
- Add 1/4 c red wine and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar.
- Bring to boil.
- Add 3 c beef broth.
- Bring to boil then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Thanks to Lucy Waverman for the recipe!