A new recipe from my friend Anne DePape. Great on a cold winter day! A full meal when served with rustic bread.
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage (Chorizo), cut into large pieces (4″)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- 6 c (1.5 l or 48 oz) of chicken broth
- 2 tbsp of tomatoe paste
- large bunch of brocollini or brocolli, cut into pieces
- Grated pecorino cheese, or any other hard cheese
- In a large frying pan, cook the sausages over medium heat, turning occasionally, until golden brown and cooked all the way through, about 15 minutes
- Remove sausage and allow to cool until it can be handled. Cut the sausage into thin (1/4″) pieces.
- In a large soup pot, warm the oil over medium- high heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute’ until translucent, about 5 min.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli, tomatoe paste, and cooked sausage.
- Adjust heat to maintain a simmer until the brocolli is cooked through, about 7-8 min.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with grated cheese.
Thanks to Williams Sonoma cook book for the recipe!