Makes a lovely sauce..good with small roasted potatoes or rice. You will want to lick every drop!
- 6 beef ribs or 4 lamb shanks
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1 c yellow onion thinly sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomatoe paste
- 5 -6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 c balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 c molasses
- 2 tsp packed brown sugar
- 1 1/3 c water
- 2 heaping tsp of cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sprinkle meat lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tsp olive oil over medium heat.
- Brown meat, turning occassionally, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer meat to a plate.
- In same pan, heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add onions and garlic, 1/2 tsp salt and pinch of pepper. Stir onions until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoe paste and 4 sprigs of thyme. Cook about 1 minute.
- Stir in vinegar, molasses,brown sugar, and water.
- Return meat to pan and bring to a boil.
- Cover and put in oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs, until meat is fork tender and separating from the bone.
- Remove meat to a plate and keep warm.
- Remove sprigs of thyme.
- Skim fat from surface of cooking liquid.
- Bring liquid to a simmer. Cook for 10 min to reduce liquid.
- Mix cornstarch with a little bit of cold water. Add in small amounts to simmering liquid until mixture starts to thicken. Sauce should be fairly thin.
- Return meat to the pan and cook another 2 -4 minutes to heat through.
- Garnish with another sprig of thyme and serve.
Thanks to Canadian Living Magazine for the recipe!