Wonderful soup…good for the soul!
- 2 large head of garlic
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 c yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 c sherry
- 4 – 5 c chicken broth
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- chopped chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut off the tops of the garlic heads. Drizzle with olive oil. Wrap loosely in foil. Roast until tender, approx 40 – 45 min.
- Take out of oven and let cool enough to touch. Squeeze out garlic into tin foil.
- In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute’ until soft, approx 5 minutes.
- Add roasted garlic to soup pot. Using a wooden spoon, mash garlic into the onions. Cook until mixture is bubbly and starts to caramelize, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sherry and bring to a boil, stir to loosen brown bits. Let boil for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the cauliflower florets and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Simmer uncovered until cauliflower is very tender, 20 – 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Using an immersion blender, puree’ the mixture in the soup pot.
- Check consistency of soup. If necessary add more broth. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cream and return the soup to the stove. Bring mixture just to a boil. Don’t over cook.
- Serve soup with green onion garnish.
Thanks to Anne DePape for the recipe!