Just as the name says…delish!
- 1 c of dates, chopped (about 1/2 pkg)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 c boiling water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 egss
- 1 c flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 c whipping cream
- 1/4 c butter
- Preheat Oven to 325
- Grease an 8″ pan liberally.
- Put the dates and water in a small saucepan and cook until dates are soft and mushy.
- Remove from stove to let cool.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix after each.
- Add the four, baking powder and mix well.
- Add the vanilla.
- Add the baking soda to the cooled date mixture.
- Add the cooled date mixture to the bowl and gently fold in.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan.
- Bake for 30 – 40 min until the middle of the cake is firm when you tap it.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 min.
- Turn out onto a plate that has plenty of room for the sauce.
- Put the brown sugar, cream and butter into a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer 5 min.
- Drizzle the warm sauce over top before serving.
Thanks to a cook at a remote work site for the recipe!