Makes “Old World Shortbread” extra special.
- Make the rolled shortbread recipe. Let cool and cut into squares or triangles. Place pieces on parchment paper with spaces in between for sauce to drip down.
- 1/4c butter
- 1/2c light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp corn syrup
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder (instant coffee area of grocery store)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cider vinegar
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- You need a candy thermometer for this recipe.
- Put all ingredients EXCEPT vanilla, cider vinegar, and sea salt in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occassionally until candy thermometer registers 235 degrees…about 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and vinegar.
- Drizzle the sauce over the shortbread. The sauce will remain soft and sticky.
- Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and let cool.
- If storing for a long period, I recommend freezing the pieces individually before packing in an air tight container, layers separated by parchment paper, for the freezer.
Thanks to The Food Network