Great soup for cold day. Makes enough for 8 hungry people
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 lg clove of garlic, chopped fine
- 1 lg carrot, peeled, chopped fine
- 1/2 bell pepper, seeded, chopped fine
- 6 c vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 2 c dry lentils ( I substituted a 1/4 c each dried green peas and white beans)
- 1 lg can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp (or more) smoked paprika
- 1 tsp (or more) ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c chopped spinach or bok choy
- 2 tbsp cooking sherry (optional)
- thin slices of parmesan cheese to garnish
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil on medium heat.
- Add onion and saute’ for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, carrot, and bell pepper and saute’ 3 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes and lentils.
- Add the spices and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hrs.
- When ready to serve, add the spinach or bok choy and stir in the sherry.
- Cook for 1 minutes until the greens are limp.
- Serve topped with thin slices of parmesan cheese.
Thanks to Soup of the Day, Williams Sonoma cookbook