A little different and easy to make.
- Acorn squash or butternut squash (my preference), enough to serve group
- 5 – 10 lg brussel sprouts, bottom trimmed, leaves peeled and saved, core removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 slices of cooked bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 3 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- pinch of black pepper
- Cut squash in half or quarters and remove seeds.
- Place cut side down on a plate. Microwave for 10 minutes or until squash can be pierced fairly easily with a fork.
- Remove from microwave and cool.
- Remove skin from squash and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Optional – Spread a little bit of bacon grease / drippings or olive oil on the bottom of a lg oven proof casserole dish. Arrange squash on the bottom of the dish. Squash should be 1 to 2 pieces in depth only.
- Put brussel sprout leaves in a bowl and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Gently stir leaves to coat.
- Arrange brussel sprout leaves on top of squash. Leaves shouldn’t totally cover the squash.
- Arrange bacon pieces on top of veggies.
- Mix brown sugar and cumin together in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over casserole.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350F.
Thanks to FoodNetwork.ca