Rhubarb that is beyond delicious!!
- RHUBARB CRISP
- 3/4 c brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 c flour or quick oats
- 1/3 c soft butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 c fresh or frozen rhubarb, diced (You can substitute some strawberries if you want)
- 1/3 – 1/2 c white sugar
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 c white sugar
- 1 c whipping cream
- 1/3 c milk
- 1/4 c bourbon or brandy
- pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 350F
- To make the crisp topping, combine the 1st four ingredients, make it crumbly.
- Combine the fruit, white sugar and lemon rind in a 2 qt casserole dish. Mix well.
- Sprinkle topping evenly.
- Bake for 1 hr.
- To make the sauce, in a heavy bottom saucepan, beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and lemon colored.
- Whisk in the cream and milk.
- Heat the mixture on low to medium heat (do not boil it!!), stirring constantly, until it coats a metal spoon.
- Stir in the bourbon or brandy and salt.
- Heat an additional 5 minutes, again…do not boil it!. Serve warm over warm crisp.
Thanks to Best of Bridge – Grand Slam