The ingredients are Eman’s recipe…which is awesome! These are notes for when I make it…memory fades from year to year..LOL! Set aside 1/2 day to make salsa.
- 12 c chopped tomatoes (Roma is best, about 10 pounds, makes about 10 pint jars, need lg soup pot )
- 3/4 c finely chopped jalapeno peppers ( about 5 medium peppers, if you can get 1 ghost pepper do it!)
- 5 c finely chopped yellow onion (about 5 medium onions)
- 6 c finely chopped bell peppers ( large….2 yellow, 2 orange, 2 red )
- 2 cans of tomato paste
- 1 c hot sauce
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 c pickling vinegar
- 3/4 c sugar
- 2 tbsp dry mustard
- 3/4 c pickling salt or sea salt (not iodized salt)
- Make sure you have enough clean jars, with snap lids and screw lids.
- Fill canner with water, enough to cover jars + 2″
- Put empty jars into canner and set to boil. Jars must boil for 20 minutes before using.
- Meantime, get tomatoes ready before other ingredients so that quantities can be adjusted if necessary. For tomatoes, make an “X” on the bottom with a knife and place in hot water for 2 minutes (use lg saucepan). Lift and put into ice water. Skins should peel off easily. Chop and measure peeled tomatoes.
- Chop remaining ingredients. Use nitrile gloves to chop jalapeno peppers.
- Put all ingredients into soup pot and sauce pan. Heat to boiling. Turn down heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes. If there is excess liquid, scoop the top few inches of the mixture into a sieve over top of a medium bowl. Drain the liquid and return the solids to the pot. Use the excess liquid for other purposes…soup or stew. Salsa will thicken a bit as it cools so don’t drain too much liquid.
- About 10 minutes before ready to fill jars, fill electric kettle with water and boil. Pour boiling water into 1 c glass measuring cup. Add snap lids and let sit till ready to use. Should still be hot when filling jars.
- Empty water out of hot jars and fill with hot salsa to within 1/2″ of rim, don’t overfill. Wipe rim of jars, they must be absolutely clean. Place hot snap lid on top and screw lid down, finger tight only.
- Place filled jars in boiling water in canner. Boil for 20 minutes.
- Lift jars out without tipping them and set on counter to cool. Do not move jars for 24 hrs.
- Check that lids have sealed. Sealed lids are concave. Store sealed jars in cool dark place. Any jars that didn’t seal should be placed in fridge and used within 1 month.
Thanks to Eman Oliver for perfecting the recipe!