A savoury appetizer that can be made ahead of time and served at room temperature. Makes 8 tarts.
- 1 c thinly sliced yellow onion rings, cut in 1/2
- Spicey Pepper Medley (or other seasoning)
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 24 cherry tomatoes, cut in 1/2 …or 16 slices of roma tomatoes
- 1/4 c fresh basil, chopped
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 slices of proscuitto, sliced into bits (optional)
- 1 c of shredded white cheese (sharp cheddar, montery jack, havarti)
- 1 pkg puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Heat oven to 425F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in frying pan on medium high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion and cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally until softened. Season with spicey pepper medley and continue cooking another 5 – 10 minutes until onions are golden and carmelized. Turn off the heat and stir in the garlic and thyme.
- In a bowl combine the balsamic vinegar, tomatoes, basil, and red pepper flakes.
- Remove the pastry from the package and lay on a lightly floured surface. Cut the rectangle of pastry in half on the cut line on the pastry so you have 2 squares. With a rolling pin, gently roll each square into approx. 6″ or 7 ” square. Cut each square into 4 pieces. You will have 8 tarts in total. Place on the baking sheet.
- Brush edges of the tarts (1/2″ onto surface) with the beaten egg.
- Distribute the carmelized onions onto each tart, staying 1/4″ away from the edges of the pastry.
- Distribute a little bit of shredded cheese onto each tart for the tomatoes to adhere to.
- If using, distribute the proscuitto around the edges of each tart.
- Arrange the tomatoes evenly in the center of each tart.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes until the pastry is golden.
Thanks to https://halfbakedharvest.