This is very popular in NFLD. A “must have” with afternoon tea!
- 2 1/2 – 3 c pitted dates, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 c salted butter
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon flavouring
- 3 tbsp or so of orange juice (squeeze 1/2 of an orange)
- 2 c boiling water
- BASE AND TOPPING:
- 2 1/2 c rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 1/2 c butter, soft
- Put the ingredients for the filling into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or until mixture forms a soft paste. Stir often and make sure it doesn’t burn in last few minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- When ready to continue, heat oven to 325F.
- Take a 13″ x 9″ pan and grease very well, especially the corners
- In a large bowl, mix the BASE ingredients. Use your fingers to break up the butter and make the mixture evenly crumbly.
- Spread 1/2 to 2/3’s of the mixture into the pan and press down firmly all over.
- Spread the filling evenly over the base.
- Spread the remaining crumb mixture on top, lightly pressing into the filling.
- Bake for 30 – 40 min. Base should be slightly brown. Topping shouldn’t be brown.
- Let the pan cool before cutting into squares.
- Store in an airtight container.
Thanks to lordbyron’skitchen.