Vegetarian and delicious!
- 1 cup lentils (any colour will work, but traditionally made with black lentils)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 cup tomato purée
- If you don’t have purée on hand, mix 1 part tomato paste to 3 parts water
- Salt and pepper
- Plain yogurt
- Fresh cilantro (garnish)
- Rinse lentils and cook according to instructions.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cumin and let sizzle for a minute.
- Add chopped onion and cook until softened. Add minced ginger and heat through.
- Add garam masala and cayenne powder. Stir together and cook for a minute.
- Add tomato purée and stir to combine all ingredients together. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the colour deepens.
- Transfer the cooked lentils to the spiced tomato masala and combine. Add salt and pepper and allow everything to simmer for 20 minutes, adding more water if needed.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt, sprinkling of garam masala, and fresh cilantro!
Thanks to chiefspicemama for the recipe!