When bacon just isn’t enough! Shawn made this for us and it was great!! Serves 6 – 8
- 2 lbs thick cut bacon, raw
- 1/4 lb bacon, cooked to your liking, and crumbled
- 2 lbs italian sausage (mild or spicy, your choice) or ground pork
- Your favourite bbq sauce
- Your favourite bbq spices (like Spicy Pepper Medley)
- Smoker (or BBQ with foil package of dampened wood chips – cook meat on indirect heat)
- Heat smoker to 225F and add smoke pucks OR heat bbq with foil package of wood chips, holes poked in package, and no heat under pork roll.
- Make a tight lattice (criss cross) with the bacon strips, approx 5 strips x 5 strips.
- Sprinkle bbq spices on lattice
- Spread italian sausage over the lattice and out to the edges
- Sprinkle cooked bacon over the italian sausage
- Dribble bbq sauce over the crumbled bacon
- Roll up the italian sausage (not the bacon lattice…yet) keeping it tight so no air bubbles.
- Roll up the italian sausage in the bacon lattice making sure edges are down on the rack so they seal.
- Put the roll in the smoker with a drip tray underneath to catch fat.
- Smoke for at least 1 hour then spread bbq sauce over top of roll.
- Cook another 1/2 hr.
- Slice and serve!
Thanks to https://bbqaddicts.com and Shawn!