This recipe uses Granny Smith apples…my favourite!!
- 3 c flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 c white sugar
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 large granny smith apples, about 1 3/4 lbs
- 1 c walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- Heat oven to 325F. Place rack in upper 1/3 of oven. Grease and flour a 9″ x 13″ pan
- Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl. Sift a second time.
- Using the mixer stand bowl with paddle attachment, mix vegetable oil and both sugars until well combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients on low speed.
- Peel, core, and cut the apples into bite-sized pieces and fold into batter.
- Fold in the nuts and then spread the batter evenly in the pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- As soon as cake comes out of the oven, put all the glaze ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil and stir mixture for 1 minute.
- Pour mixture over warm cake.
- Cut into 12 pieces and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Thanks to A Family Feast