Best thing for a snowy or rainy day!
- 9 tbsp soft butter
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 c molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 c flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 c water
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 c brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 c cold water
- 1/4 butter, cubed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whipped Cream or Ice Cream for serving. (optional)
- CAKE -Heat oven to 325F. Grease a 9″ round or square pan and set aside. Springform pan works great!
- In mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in molasses and egg until well blended.
- Combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt together.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with water in 2 – 3 portions.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
- SAUCE – in a small saucepan combine the brown sugar and cornstarch.
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Stir sauce until it starts to thicken….about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cubed butter and vanilla untill melted and smooth.
- Serve over warm cake with whipped cream or ice cream.
Thanks to https://therecipecritic.com