Tender crispy beef….same as Chinese restaurant!
- 1 flank steak or skirt steak cut against the grain in 1/4″ slices
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp veggie oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp Chinkiang vinegar (or similar)
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing wine (or similar)
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chili oil or Sriracha or Sambal Oleek
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- STIR FRY
- 1/3 c cornstarch
- 1/3 c avocado oil
- 1/2 c chopped white onion
- 2 c chopped bell pepper, various colors is best
- 4 chinese dried chili peppers (optional)
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- Roasted sesame seeds or chopped green onion for garnish
- Marinate the beef with the egg, oil, and salt for 15 – 20 minutes while preparing the veggies
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well
- Prepare the veggies
- Heat a deep frying pan on medium high heat.
- When hot, add enough oil to cover bottom of frying pan
- Drain the beef and add to frying pan for one layer, separating pieces from each other. Cook for 2-3 minutes before turning over. Ensure the beef gets lots of brown color and crisps before removed from pan. Cook in batches if necessary and remove beef to small bowl.
- Once beef is removed from frying pan, add a bit more oil if necessary and add the veggies. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic and stir a few times to release fragrance.
- Stir the sauce well to incorporate the cornstarch then add to the frying pan. Stir and cook until it thickens…2-3 minutes.
- Add in the beef and stir to coat.
- Serve with garnishes and rice.
Thanks to Maggie Zhu!