(10 minutes, 425F)
For a delicious combination of soft bread and hard salted crust this pretzel doesn’t disappoint.
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 tsp fast rising yeast
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp water
- Sea Salt
- Preheat Oven to 425F
- Pour lukewarm water into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Sprinkle the yeast on the water. Let it sit about 5 minutes until bubbly.
- Add 1 1/2 cup flour to the yeast mixture. Stir until the ingredients are blended and form a ball.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead dough. Knead in additional flour if needed. After about 5 minutes of kneading the dough should be smooth and not sticky.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Roll each pieces into a long snake about 1 cm thick and 30 cm long.
- Shape the dough into a pretzel.
- Place the pretzels on greased baking sheets allowing several inches between pretzels.
- Combine egg with 1 tbsp of water.
- Paint mixture on each pretzel.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until slightly browned.
Thanks to Stuart Alloway for the recipe!