(2 hours prep, 1 hour cooking at 350F)
Use large stock pot (12 L) Use 12 medium size glass jars with snap lids and screw caps
- 1 lg jar of pickled onions, cut into very small pieces
- 1 lg head of cauliflower cut into very small pieces
- 2 lg bottles (1 L) of Heinz ketchup
- 2 small tins sliced black olives, chopped into very small pieces
- 8 oz of olive oil
- 1 lg bottle (750 ml) of Heinz Hot & Spicy ketchup
- 3 lg jars of gherkin pickles, cut into very small pieces (like relish)
- 1 lg bottle of Heinz Chili Sauce
- 1 tin sliced mushroom pieces
- 1 lg yellow pepper, cut into very small pieces
- 3 tins of small shrimp
- 2 tins of crab meat
- 2 tins of solid tuna in water
- 2 tins of anchovies, cut into small pieces
- Preheat Oven to 350F
- Do not start cooking until everything is chopped and jars and lids are hot and ready to go.
- Put glass jars and screw caps into dishwasher and wash (fast setting of 30 min). When the cycle is complete, put the jars on a cookie sheet and put in the oven to heat. Put the screw caps on the counter until ready to use.
- Set large colander on a plate to catch liquids. Use small colander to drain ingredients. Chop on lower surface (kitchen table).
- Drain onions and chop. Put in large colander.
- Drain the olives and chop. Put in large colander.
- Drain the pickles and chop. Put in large colander.
- Drain the mushrooms and chop. Put in large colander.
- Slice and chop the yellow pepper (discarding seeds). Put in large colander.
- Slice and break the cauliflower into very small flowerettes. Put in stock pot.
- Open tins of shrimp and crab and drain. Put in small colander. Open tins of tuna and drain. Break into small pieces and put in small colander. Open tins of anchovies. Drain off oil. Chop anchovies into small pieces and put in small colander. Heat a large amount of water in the kettle. When boiling, pour over seafood in small colander and let drain.
- Put enough water in a small saucepan to cover the snap lids. Heat the water until very warm (not boiling). Add the lids and reduce the heat.
- Add the olive oil to the cauliflower in the stock pot and put on medium heat.
- Stir constantly for 4 min.
- Add the ingredients from the large colander and continue cooking for 6 min.
- Add the ketchup / chili sauce and cook for another 10 min.
- Add the seafood in the small colander and bring to a boil. Mixture should be the consistency of thick relish.
- If need be, add more ketchup.
- Take the hot jars one at a time and fill by ladling the antipasto.
- Don’t touch the edge of the jars with fingers or put the ladle on the surface of the jars.
- Try to fill them by letting the antipasto fall from the ladle into the jar. Fill the jar leaving about ½” from the top.
- Wipe off the top of the jar with a clean cloth. Using tongs, put a snap lid from the saucepan on the jar and put on the screw cap lightly.
- Set aside to cool. Jar lids should “snap” to seal as the jars cool. When jars are fully cooled, check to ensure all lids sealed.
- Store in a cool dark storage room.
- If lid did not seal, use within a couple of weeks or put in the freezer.
Thanks to Pam Alloway for the recipe!