(45 minutes on the stove)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 12 large shrimp / prawns
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large can whole tomatoes, chopped, including liquid
- 1 can of frozen lobster, thawed
- 1/2 orange pepper, finely diced
- 2 cup chicken stock with clam nectar
- 1 lb king crab legs, shelled, cut into 2” chunks
- 2 garlic, minced
- Pinch of sugar
- 12 mussels
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Place the olive oil in large soup pot and put on medium heat. When hot, add onion, orange pepper and garlic. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, basil and thyme. Cook 1 minute.
- Add wine, tomatoes, chicken stock / clam nectar and sugar. Bring to a simmer and simmer 15-20 minutes.
Season the mixture with ground pepper. The seafood should add enough salt.
Add the shrimp, lobster, and king crab. Cook 2 minutes.
Add the mussels and cook until shrimp turns pink and mussels open.
Serve in warmed bowls with warm bread / pretzels. Very filling!
Thanks to Edmonton Journal (2009) for the recipe!