Rhubarb just became my new favorite dessert…its all about the sauce! Serves 8.
- For the CRISP
- 3/4 c brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 c flour
- 1/3 c soft butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 c fresh or frozen rhubarb, diced
- 1/2 c white sugar
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- For the SAUCE
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 c white sugar
- 1 c whipping cream
- 1/3 c milk
- 1/4 c of bourbon or brandy or rum
- pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 350F
- To make the crisp, combine the 1st FOUR ingregients (sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon) in a bowl until crumbly.
- In a large casserole dish, combine the rhubarb, sugar, and lemon rind.
- Sprinkle the crisp mixture on the rhubarb. Bake for 1 hour.
- To make the sauce, in the top of a double boiler, beat the yolks and sugar until light and lemon colored.
- Whisk in the cream and milk.
- Cook over hot water (not boiling) until mixture coats a spoon.
- Stir in bourbon and salt.
- Cook 5 minutes more.
- Serve warm. Makes 2 c of sauce.
Thanks to Best of Bridge cook books.