This is the best beef stroganoff I’ve ever had.
Also, I don’t like mushrooms, so I leave them out. Definitely add them if you like them!
- 2 striploin steaks. Can also use beef chuck roast
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups of condensed beef broth or 1 cube of beef broth dissolved in 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup white wine
- Red wine
- Worcester sauce
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove fat and gristle from steak and cut into strips, about 1/2 inch thick and 2 inches long. Place into a bowl and add red wine until just covered. Add a few splashes of Worcester sauce, salt, pepper, smashed garlic cloves, and 1/2 of the chopped onion. Add any other flavours you think will work well here. Let marinate for a couple of hours in the fridge.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and brown the beef strips quickly, then push the beef strips off to one side. Add the onions and cook slowly for 3 to 5 minutes, then push to the side with the beef strips.
- Stir the flour into the juices on the empty side of the pan. Pour in beef broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and stir in mustard. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
- Five minutes before serving, stir in the sour cream and white wine. Heat briefly then salt and pepper to taste.
Thanks to All Recipes for the recipe!