Makes a lot and freezes quite well.
- 2 c peeled and grated beets
- Olive oil
- 8 c chicken or vegetable broth, Knorr’s or other brand
- 2 c of mixed veggies of your choice, such as diced sweet potatoe or white potatoe, shredded green or purple cabbage, shredded carrots, diced butternut squas. Note that all veggies will turn beet color.
- 2 ribs of celery thickly sliced
- 1/2 c diced orange or yellow pepper
- 1 c chopped onion
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 1 can white cannelini beans with juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lg garlic clove, diced
- 3 tbsp chopped dill
- sour cream or plain yogurt for garnish (optional)
- Heat a large soup pot.
- Add olive oil. Add beets and saute’ for 10 min, stirring occassionally
- Add onion, celery and bell pepper. Saute’ a few minutes until softened.
- Add broth.
- Add mixed veggies. Simmer until all veggies are fork tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer another 5 minutes. Add water if need be.
- Serve in lg bowls. Add a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt if desired.
- Can be frozen in large quart jars.
Thanks to Natashas Kitchen.