I’m always looking for new side dish recipes. This one is very flexible and delish! Use fresh herbs if possible.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large butternut squash, seeded, peeled, cut into 3/4″ cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 – 2 tbsp fresh thyme or rosemary
- 2 c kale, or brocolini, or cauliflower, or any other root vegetable, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c yellow onion, diced
- 1 c veggie broth
- 1 c panko breadcrumbs or crushed cracker crumbs
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, rosemary, or sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 c butter, melted
- 1 c freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 375
- Grease bottom of shallow 13″ x 9″ pan. I use olive oil.
- Heat a frying pan and add olive oil. When heated add the garlic and onion. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the squash. Saute’ until squash starts to brown.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan and spread evently.
- Spread the remaining veggies on top.
- Add the seasonings to the veggie broth and pour evenly over top of vegetables.
- Cover in foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and check squash for doneness. A fork should pierce the squash easily.
- Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Spread evenly on top of squash.
- Return dish to the oven and bake uncovered for another 20 minutes.
- Topping should be slightly brown and crispy.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
Thanks to https://wellplated