Great as main meal or appies for a crowd. Slow cooking keeps them tender and juicy on the inside…crispy on the outside! Goes well with Asian Slaw recipe.
- 4 lbs pork shoulder, fat cap removed, cut into 2″ pieces, remove any other large pieces of fat or gristle.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped fine, about 1 c
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 c honey
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp sesame seeds for garnish
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat oven to 325F
- In a large roasting pan, gently toss the pork pieces with olive oil, onion, salt and pepper. Put on roasting pan cover and bake for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, stir together the honey, red chili flakes and garlic. Set aside.
- Remove pork bites from oven after 1 hour and stir in the honey mixture. There will be a lot of water in the pan…do not drain it.
- Return pork bites to oven and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, stir the pork bites and return to oven.
- Bake for another 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, stir the pork bites again. They should be starting to brown and liquid should be disappearing.
- After 30 minutes, stir the pork bites again. They should be well browned by this time and liquid almost gone. There isn’t any sauce to this recipe. Sprinkle on the sesame seeds and return to oven for 15 – 30 minutes depending on how brown the pork bites are. Stop cooking if liquid is gone.
Thanks to Lord Byron’s Kitchen for recipe!