Takes a long time to cook but worth it! I usually start it in the evening so it can cook overnight.
- 3 c navy beans
- 8 c water
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/2 c finely chopped onion
- 1/2 c salt pork, chopped fine (most large grocery stores carry salt pork)
- 1/2 molasses
- 1 c ketchup
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- Mix beans, water, salt, onion and salt pork in a slow cooker.
- Cook for 10 hrs on low heat.
- Drain the beans reserving 2 c of the liquid.
- Put the beans back in the slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients plus the 2 c of reserved liquid.
- Cook 4 more hours on low heat.
Thanks to Jean Hamilton for the recipe!!