Yummy with Lemon Potatoe Wedges!! You can do this entire recipe in an oven proof skillet or transfer to a large casserole dish. This recipe can easily be doubled to feed a crowd.
- White (Vidallia) onions, 2 medium size, sliced in rings
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Large package of skinless, boneless chicken thighs, fat removed (10-12 pieces)
- 2 c veggie broth (or beef)
- olive oil for browning
- 2 tbsp flour or cornstarch
- salt / pepper / sage / thyme
- 1 c swiss cheese shredded, or swiss cheese slices (cheese optional)
- Heat oven to 400F
- Heat a large deep skillet with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil (medium heat).
- Add the onions and season with salt. Cook and stir occasionally for 15-20 minutes, until onions are soft and caramelized.
- While onions are cooking, prepare the chicken thighs. Remove excess fat, cut larger pieces in half.
- Arrange chicken in a single layer on the cutting board. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, sage, and thyme, one side of chicken only.
- When the onions are caramelized, add the balsamic vinegar and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Ensure the onions don’t burn.
- Transfer onions to a bowl and set aside.
- Add more olive oil to the skillet and start browning the chicken pieces in batches. Chicken doesn’t need to be fully cooked. Set cooked chicken aside.
- Drain any excess oil from the skillet.
- Put about 1/2 c of broth in a small bowl. Add the flour or cornstarch and mix well.
- Put the skillet on medium heat and add the remaining broth to the pan. Scrape the bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Whisk in the flour / cornstarch mixture in small amounts. Cook for 5-7 minutes until mixture has thickened. Its best if the mixture is thicker than for gravy because the chicken juices will thin it while it is finishing in the oven.
- If using the skillet, return the chicken and onions to the pan and stir to combine with the gravy.
- If using a casserole dish, layer the onions and chicken in the dish. Pour the gravy over top.
- Spread the cheese on top and place in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
Thanks to https://12tomatoescom