A wonderful soup!
- 1 medium size kabocha squash, seeded, skinned, cut into large cubes
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 tsp or more turmeric powder
- 1 tsp or more cinnamon
- 1 tsp or more coarse salt
- 1 tbsp or more fresh ginger
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 4 c or more Vegetable stock
- Use a sharp knife to cut the squash in half. Avoid cutting through the center stem section, cut to the side of it. Do this slowly! Kabocha squash is tough! Remove seeds. Cut the squash into sections, about 1 1/2-2″ wide. Cut off the skin of each section and cut in large cubes.
- In a large soup pot, heat a couple tbsp of oil.
- Add the shallots and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the squash and saute’ for a few minutes.
- Add enough stock to cover the squash.
- Add the seasonings.
- Cook over medium heat until the squash is soft, about 30-40 minutes. Taste mixture and adjust seasonings.
- Use an immersion blender to reduce the mixture to creamy smooth consistency.
- Add the coconut milk and blend into the soup. When heated through, serve.