Light and fluffy! Can be made ahead and frozen…but who wants to wait??
- 3 c all-purpose flour1
- 1 tbsp (not a typo) baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 c cold buttter
- 1 1/2 c buttermilk (can be made by adding 1 tsp vinegar to milk)
- If baking right away, heat oven to 400F
- Place dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir to mix.
- Butter – either grate the butter and add to the dry ingredients or use a pastry blender to incorporate the butter. Butter should be small uniform pieces.
- Add the buttermilk and stir until the dough forms a sticky ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a flour-dusted work surface and pat into a rough 8″ square.
- Knead the dough about 10 times by folding in half, pat back down, rotate it 90 degrees after each fold.
- Pat the dough into a 6″x8″ rectangle.
- Make 12 squares by cutting straight down…don’t saw back and forth.
- If freezing the biscuits, transfer them to parchment paper and freeze at least 4 hours. Then re-package into zip lock bags.
- If baking, place biscuits on a baking sheet and place on middle rack in pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then check progress. Depending on your oven, you will need to add another 2-5 minutes baking time. Biscuits should be double their height and slightly golden brown.
Thanks to https://kitchn.com and my friend Ashley