Cumin and chili powder pack plenty of zip into this chunky bean dip, which is served warm. It’s a great make-ahead dish for any kind of party or get-together. Makes 8 servings.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1/3 cup picante sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Tortilla chips
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add beans; mash gently. Stir in the tomato, picante sauce, cumin and chili powder.
- Cook and stir just until heated through. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, cilantro and lime juice. Serve warm with chips.
1/4 cup: 73 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 0 starch, 0 lean meat.
Thanks to Taste Of Home for the recipe