(35 minutes at 350F)
- 3 small pears
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp each of ginger, nutmeg, and cardamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 lg eggs
- Preheat Oven to 350F
- Peel and core the pears and cut into 6 – 8 wedges.
- Combine the sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to high and bring to boil, cook without stirring until the mixture turns a rich caramel color (6-8 min).
- Watch carefully as it is easy to burn it.
- Pour the sauce into the pan.
- Arrange pear slices on top.
- To make the cake, beat the butter and sugar together until soft.
- Add the eggs and beat until fluffy. Add the vanilla. Add the baking powder and spices, mix.
- Add the flour and milk in 2 additions, beating well after each addition.
- Spoon the batter over the caramel / pears.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 min.
- When done, run a knife around the edges of the pan and turn out onto a plate.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Thanks to Pam Alloway for the recipe!