Use lots of veggies!
2 c penne pasta, dry
4-5 Veggies (make it colorful!) such as:
- cauliflower, carrots, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, squash, turnip
- brocoli, bok choy, spinach, swisschard, beet greens, asparagus, peas, green string beans
Meat ½ lb or more of one kind sliced into thin pieces
- Pork tenderloin
- Italian sausage, mild or hot
- Chicken breast or thighs
- Shrimp, leave whole
Sauce (OR use Yogurt Alfredo Sauce recipe for a lower fat version)
- 1 cup more or less of whipping cream
- 1/2 cup more or less of milk
- 1-2 tbsp of chicken broth mix, dried
- 1/2 cup or more of shredded parmessan cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- parsley and or basil, fresh or dried
- sea salt, celery salt, pepper, pepper medley, red pepper flakes
- Prepare the vegetables, cut into bite-size pieces.
- Prepare the meat, slice into 1″ pieces.
- Make the sauce by heating all the ingredients except the cheese. Do not let it boil. Add the cheese in small amounts and stir to mix well. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Start heating the water for the pasta in a large pot. When boiling add 1 tbsp salt. Water should taste quite salty. Add the pasta and cook for about 12-15 minutes till just done, not too soft.
- In a large frying pan (2-3” deep), sprayed with cooking oil, sauté the meat on medium heat. Cook in batches if necessary and remove to a bowl when mostly cooked. If using shrimp, add them after sauteing the vegetables.
- Add all the vegetables except anything green. Saute’ the veggies until almost soft.
- Add the meat back into the pan. Add brocoli if using and heat for a couple of minutes.
- When the pasta is done, drain it and put it in a large serving bowl.
- Spread the greens (spinach, bok choy, etc) on top of the pasta.
- Add the hot veggie / meat mixture on top of the greens.
- Pour the hot sauce over top and lightly mix.
- Garnish with chives and shredded parmessan cheese.
Thanks to Pam Alloway for the recipe!