Adapted from Lynn Crawford
Carrots, 3 or 4 medium size
Onion, 1/2 cup roughly
Celery, 2 – 4 stalks
Vegetable Broth, as many cups as required for packaged gravey mix
Packaged gravy mix (beef, turkey etc), however many you need for your group size
Drippings / fat from whatever meat you are cooking
- In a medium saucepan, pour in the vegetable broth and turn to medium heat.
- Clean and slice the carrots into 1/4″ rounds, add to saucepan
- Clean and slice the celery into small pieces, add to saucepan
- Chop the onion, add to saucepan
- Cook veggies until very soft.
- Remove the cooked veggies from the broth.
- Add packaged gravy mixes to broth. Cook according to package directions.
- Suction off drippings / fat from meat. Separate fat from other juices.
- Add flour to fat and make roux.
- Add a bit of cold water to make roux into a slurry.
- Add some hot broth to slurry to dilute more. Add fat mix very slowly to hot broth.
- Add remaining meat juices to pot.
- Continue cooking the gravey until desired thickness. Keep in mind that gravy should be on the thin side as it will thicken as bit as it cools at serving time.
Thanks to Lynn Crawford