Gotta’ do this salad at least once when papayas are in season!!
- Romain lettuce
- Papaya (papayas are ripe when they turn yellow. Mostly green in the stores but will ripen on counter.)
- Avocado, not too soft
- 1/3 c red onion, chopped fine
- 1/4 – 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard (spice section)
- 1 – 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp papaya seeds
- 1/2 c white wine vinegar or tarragon vinegar (I like tarragon best)
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 2 green onions, chopped fine
- Cut up romaine lettuce into bite size pieces, as much as you need. Put in fridge or ziplock till ready to serve.
- Halve the papaya. Scoop out 2 tbsp of seeds and put in blender. Discard remaining seeds, peel, and cut papaya into bite size pieces. Put in bowl in fridge till ready to serve.
- Cut up red onion. Put in bowl in fridge till ready to serve,
- Put sugar, mustard, salt, vinegar and salad oil in blender and mix until papaya seeds are about the size of ground pepper.
- Cut up green onion. Add to salad dressing and store in fridge until ready to serve.
- Dressing makes LOTS so there will be left overs. (Yay!…salad again next day.)
- Cut up avocado into bite size pieces when ready to serve salad.
- When ready to serve, put salad ingredients together and toss gently with dressing. Don’t add too much dressing.
Thanks to ACES – Best of Bridge for the recipe!